Stages of Friendship Questions
Communication Arts – Mr. Dawursk
Directions: On your own paper, answer the following questions using complete sentences and correct grammar and spelling. The answers are based upon the article “Stages of Friendship” by Marylin Sherman.
1) What are the four stages of friendship according to Robert Selman of Harvard? Describe each.
2) According to social psychologist Zick Rubin, what are the three steps in the “progress” of friendship growth? Describe each.
3) Define: Instrumental Friendship
4) Define: Interpersonal Friendship
5) What are three characteristics which cause a friendship to deepen from casual to caring? Describe each.
6) According to Psychology Today, what was the major reason for a breakup of friendships?
7) There is an old saying that “opposites attract.” Is this still true today? According to your reading, how does this apply to “friendships?”
8) What does this phrase mean: “The only way to have a friend is to be one”?